Friday, May 20, 2011

Dress CPR and jeans fail

Oh I've been in a funk. I've been suffering from "too many things on my list to do so I won't do any of them" syndrome. So I'm afraid I don't have anything earth-shattering to share.

(On a brighter note both my washing machine and refrigerator are again fully functional!)

I'm not quite sure what to say about this dress in it's original form. It's one of the refashions I'm working on for a dress shop in town. It is/was teeny tiny with the smallest neck opening I've ever seen.

It was definitely homemade and in rough condition.

It was nice to work with such bright colorful fabric during this crazy stretch of rainy weather!


So I took the easy way out and made a skirt from it. I added a pink waistband (reused the dress zipper) and evened off the hem. I really wanted to change the neckline and keep it as a dress but it was just so small that there was no room for error. It's a cute skirt though! I'm planning to make a small handbag out of the leftover fabric.

So, jeans. I was so excited about Peter's jeans sew-along. I reeeaaally wanted to make a pair of perfect-fitting white jeans for summer.

My chosen pattern, McCall's 5894. Good reviews on PR, looked promising, started with a muslin just in case. I compared the measurements to a pair of jeans I like and found the rise to be much higher in the pattern.

So I started cutting up the pattern to lower it.

And this is as far as i got before the entire thing went into the trash in a fit of frustration. None of the pieces matched up and I cut away most of the important pattern markings, duh. Oh well, live and learn, right?


So I plan to try again with Vogue 2907. It's got a much lower rise so no adjustment there, and I like the shape of the leg better.

So let's hope the return of the sun around these parts brings about a burst of creative energy!

XO
Jackie

4 comments:

  1. I've only just found your blog and have to say I love your creations. Your RTW jacket is stunning! I really like your cowl top as well. I'd really like to give a few of those ago this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bernice! Thanks for the lovely comment:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool reuse! I see what you did with the jeans- didn't lower the pocket hole too (I have done this!) certainly salvageable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. em.. that syndrome is obviously going around.
    http://theperfectnose.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete